Monday, August 01, 2016

Summer Colds

coldsflus

I don’t know about everyone else, but it seems like the entirety of the downtown core has caught a summer cold. With every heat wave comes the blowdryer-like humidity and with every cool breeze that tries to kick it’s fiery inferno, comes the summer cold that absolutely no one is immune to. 

Once upon a time, (and even now, if I’m honest), I would’ve told you that I am immune to most puny viruses that are more susceptible to weak immune systems. But alas, a week ago, I was absolutely crippled by the energy draining, headache pulsing, clogged head summer cold that had me absolutely sprawled on the ground, doing nothing but Netflix’ing Gilmore Girls. During my first day of symptoms, there was no immunity booster, green juice, or raw ginger + honey tea that could make me feel better. It’s been a solid year since I’d been that debilitated and it was nothing if not humbling. 

To give my immunity some kind of credit, it has been a quick recovery and it’s solely because of my eminent willpower when it comes to avoiding feeling weak in the hands of sickness. Here are a few of my absolute note-worthy tips that are perfectly simple and will never let you down. 




1. I am avoiding sugar at all costs. Viruses and infections feed on sugar, so the more you consume, the more aggressive your symptoms can become and potentially the longer it can take for you to recover. Soft drinks, sugary coffee drinks, and even things like sports hydrators; if you’re getting over a flu, drink coconut water, it’s a natural electrolyte drink! Processed sugar especially makes a virus happy, including white bread and other things that turn directly to sugar in our bodies like white flour. These are just a few examples of what you’re tempted to turn to. Aim to eat clean and pump up your fruits and vegetables for lots of nutrients and antioxidants to give your body the right “weapons” to fight! 

2. Hydration station. As much as you possibly can, H2O should be your best friend. If you can get some fresh ginger in a hot cup or even some raw honey to sooth a sore throat, you’re more than ready to fight. Ginger has some beautiful anti-inflammatory properties that makes it my go-to for pretty much everything, even digestion related issues. Our bodies basic functions need us to be hydrated, imagine how much more it needs when it’s working double time to heal?

3. Sleep. (but more than normal) If you know me at all, you’d know my grand-motherly sleeping habits and that I can’t go without (at the very least) eight hours of sleep, or I will not be properly functioning. Since the moment I had that tickle in my throat, I’d had two green juices, a ginger/turmeric shot, and have slept 9.5 hours every single night since. While I know this isn’t possible for everyone’s lifestyle (and I need more than the average person on a good day) by upping up your usual by 1-2 hours, you’re going to give your body so much more power during the day to be able to operate at work/school or just to feel somewhat normal again. Trust me, my friend, this will be worth it. (And the chances are, you’re going to be so exhausted, this won’t sound like that much of a stretch.) 

4. Stress free zone. I can safely tell you that this particular glitch in my immunity was more than likely due to a stressful week that I had endured. I can feel these things coming on, almost like a sixth sense. I know when I’ve been pushing myself in too many areas of my life that my body can’t handle all the cortisol my adrenals are pumping out. It’s too much, and my immunity can’t handle it. (Welcome to the world of holistic nutrition, my friends. Everything is connected) So please, if nothing else, take care of yourself. That day of straight binging of Gilmore Girls was the best way for me to turn off my brain and regroup. It was a stress reliever (my particular way, you may have other more productive tactics) and I knew exactly what I needed to help my body prioritize what it needed to do. Listen to your body, friend, it knows you better than you know yourself. 

Until next time, be real joyful, stay real positive, and most importantly, keep it real simple. 

1 comment :

  1. You are so right. Summer colds are the worst. My best friend Mike gets one of these colds every year. Your tips work but I can't get him to follow any of them. He would much rather try to ignore the symptoms and be miserable until the cold ends. I don't understand this but maybe it's just a guy thing.

    ReplyDelete